Following this reflection, there is a list of all Lenten posts from writers associated with CCBlogs. Please visit these sites.

 

I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen” (Ephesians 3:18-21).

 

The wind blows where it chooses…” (John 3:8).

 

Wednesday night, the new episode of the hospital comedy/drama “Scrubs” had Dr. Turk risking a new and experimental procedure, and thus his reputation and livelihood, to give a young man and his father hope. The teen had a 90% chance of being paralyzed from the neck down by a spinal injury, but Turk was determined (against the advice of his colleague and friend J.D., but with the support of his wife Carla) to give the family that other 10%, even at potentially great cost to himself.

 

Where did he get the idea? From a medical seminar or journal? From talking with experts in the field? No. From watching a favorite TV sports show and hearing about the procedure, called “cold therapy,” being used on a professional athlete with success.

 

Sometimes our best ideas and greatest inspiration come from conventional sources and from talking to the usual suspects, as it were. But other times, if we pay attention and are serendipitously/providentially in the right place at the right time, we may be given the sort of help Turk got. Who knew his watching a few minutes of a sports show on a break would result in a young man in his care being able to walk again? Who can tell if your conversation with someone with radically different views than yours might provide insight you need in a situation later on? Who’s to say that my glance out the window as I drive might not convince me again of God’s good purpose for the world? What if our own imagination, intuition, and/or common sense is/are the place(s) we find the answers we need, if we but trust ourselves as the vessels of God’s Spirit, who blows about like an uncontrollable wind?

 

God is full of surprises. He doesn’t work always in the expected or conventional ways. We need to be open to what he is doing and yet may do, wherever, whenever, and through whomever God chooses to work. As one of my favorite passages from a Presbyterian document says: “We do not fully comprehend who God is or how he works. God’s reality far exceeds all our words can say. The Lord’s requirements are not always what we think is best. The Lord’s care for us is not always what we want. God comes to us on his own terms and is able to do far more than we ask or think” (A Declaration of Faith 1[2]).

 

© 2009 Tom Cheatham

 

CCBlogs Lenten Posts

 

Don’t Eat Alone     

The Connection     

Pastor’s Post

Faith at Ease     

Holy Vignettes     

I-YOUniverse

Where the Wind     

As the Deer     

The Other Jesus

Mark Powell     

Getting There     

Ellen Haroutunian

Theolog     

Welcoming Spirit     

Living Word by Word

Where the Wind     

Faith in Community     

When Grace Happens

Theophiliacs J. Stambaugh     

Theophiliacs A. Hunt     

Everyday Liturgy       

Available Light     

Work in Progress     

Allan Bevere      

A Diner at the End of Time    

The Painted Prayerbook     

Just Words

The Church Geek     

Breaking Fast on the Beach     

The Pocket Mardis

Reflectionary     

One Hand Clapping     

Unorthodoxology

 

 

Advertisements